Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Ruh Roh Rorge!

Wanted to get a quick post out, before I go to the dentist for this nasty toothache I'm sporting.  And speaking of toothaches...did you see yesterday's loss to the Giants?  No, you say?  You work on Monday afternoons?  Well I, Son Ranto, watched it for you!  Well, most of it anyway.  Kinda hard to stay totally engaged in a 9-3 loss ya know.  But there were about 5 minutes in this game when I was engaged, after Navarro hit a homerun in the bottom of the 6th to pull the Cubs within 2.  But the wheels came off in the top of the 7th when the Giants put up a 4 spot to go up 9-3...and that's where it stayed.  Cory Wade, who's trying to make the bullpen (good luck now) pitched a scoreless 6th, but gave up 2 earned in the 7th along with a couple of errors in the infield.  As I said, the wheels came off in the 7th.

Which brings me to an hilarious observation.  Have you ever been at a Cubs game when the opposing team puts up a 4 or 5 spot in the top of the 7th, and then you have to sing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame", while everyone feels like crap because you were in the game up until now, but now you will most likely lose?  Yeah...it sucks...but it is funny....all these languid voices kind-of-half-heartedly trying to sound like they are still having fun at the old ballpark.  What am I saying?  Cub fans are always happy!  Or at least always drunk..... At least Steve Bartman had the decency to wait until the 8th inning to screw up everyone's good time in 2003!

What else?  Well Scott Baker is out til June according to the Tribune and Carrie Muskat of Cubs.com says that's good news?  I don't see how it's good news.  Not sure why the front office took all these chances on Tommy John surgery pitchers.  Hell.  I'd rather have Tommy John...is he still available?  Or alive?  I mean I guess it's good news that my knee caps didn't burst into flames just now, but they still hurt when I walk up stairs.  And I guess it's good that Scott Baker is predicted to be back at some point this season,   And not that his arm was blown off by Robin Yount in a hunting accident.

Hey....anyone see the new Cubs branding slogan "Committed"?  What advertising company came up with that brilliance!? There's not even a winning sentiment in there!  Just, yeah...we will show up...try...see how it goes....meh...Committed to What?!  Well if this season goes like the last few, we fans should be committed.  Maybe if the Cubs move to Rosemont they can just pad the walls of Wrigley, and all the fans who will no doubt go crazy if that were to happen, can be "committed" to the stadium.  Waddaya say Ricketts?  I think Obamacare pays for mental health facilities!

So what's going on today?  Reds (Cueto) v. Cubbies (The Shark).  Well...it's actually a night game.  9pm Central.  They will probably have the game on the MLB iphone radio, but I'm doubtful I can stay up til midnight listening to Mick Gillespie.  He seems like a nice guy, but I need Pat Hughes' folksy father figure voice to keep me engaged.

People my people!  Spring Training is almost over!  Let's do this thing!!


No comments:

Post a Comment