Monday, March 25, 2013

The Cubs are over .500! (in the Cactus League)

Ok...I love pitcher's duels as much as the next guy, but a pitchers duel during Spring Training while watching and listening to the Cleveland Indians TV Broadcast...not so much...In fact, I missed the most exciting play of the game, because I fell asleep to the 1-0 snoozefest through, but so glad I woke up to A.  A cubs Win (Game ended a respectable 4-3), and B.  This incredible Footage of Dionner Navarro scoring the Cubs 4th run.  Dionner makes Geovany Soto look like Kate Moss.  Either way....Rusin, who is now our 5th starter with Garza and Baker on the Shelf, pitched really well, as I said, pitchers duel through 7.  and he gave up only 2 hits through 5.1.  Not bad for a number 5 starter.  Actually, it's really good for a number 1.  I know I'm getting ahead of myself, and it's Spring.  But As a Cub fan, you gotta take what you can get, especially in seasons when no one is expecting you to win.  Did I mention there are still tix for opening day?  Cause there are.  But damn that 12% amusement tax!  

So, the good news is, we won!  And are over .500 in the CL.  And I know many of you will say, big deal, Spring training, blah blah, belch....But honestly.  Winning is winning.  And to create a winning vibe around your ball club is an intangible, one should not downplay.  Momentum is everything.  Hell!  We've certainly seen the other side of the momentum, when you expect to lose all the games.  All last year, if the Cubs had a lead through 6, I would muse to the drunk sitting next to me, let's see how they manage to lose this one, and they inevitably did (lose that is), 101 times.  There were a few bad losing streaks in there , and it created a losing vibe, so we kept losing.  But this week, the team is 6-1, with the one loss coming against the Dodgers in a split squad game.  Not too shabby.  And it's just nice to win.  Sure.  Pat and Keith always downplay it on the broadcast,  saying ad nauseum how by the middle of April this will all be forgotten.  All the stats erased...etc etc...and this is all true.  But it's not April.  It's March.  And we're winning.  You know it's got to feel good.


So....what's next for our beloved Cubbies?  How bout the World Champion San Francisco Giants?  Los Gigantes will throw Vogelsong, which according to Surnames.com means " dweller where the birds sing".  Sounds pretty pansy to me, but what do I know?  the Cubs will throw up Travis Wood who will once again attempt to prove that giving up the beloved lefty Sean Marshall to the hated Reds was a good idea.  

What else to look for?  Well, I'm thinking Steve Clevenger is a crappy fielder at all 8 positions he plays, but the dude can hit.  That run scoring double he hit on Sunday ended up being the  game winner.  He's batting .395 in 38 at bats with an .OBP of .415.  Not bad for a utility guy.  I just expect him to lose as many games for us with his glove, as he wins for us with his bat.  At this point, we have 3 good hitting catchers, and probably 2 decent fielding ones.  Better than a sharp stick in the eye.  

One last thing...while looking at the 40 man roster, I realized I completely missed the three terrible Spring innings pitched by #67 Robert Whitenack.  5 walks and a hit, 3 runs and an era of 9.00.  The dudes from Queens, can we sell him to the Mets for some of that recovered Madoff money?  That would rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment