Friday, May 31, 2013

Cuuuuuuuuuuubs Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!

I never thought I'd have an opportunity to say "Sweeeeeeeeeeeeep" this entire year!  Things for the Cubs were looking bleak as hell after the last road trip, but we've triumphantly come home to Chicago to win 3 in a row against the hated Black Sox!  Damn, I wish I was there!  But alas, Son Ranto is in NYC where last night I did witness another Crosstown Underdog, The NY Mets sweep the hated Yankees.  It was pretty sweet.
My sis got me bleacher tix for my birthday.

But yesterday's Cubs game!  I walked from the Courthouses of lower Manhattan, where I finished my divorce paperwork, up to 54th st, all the while listening to Pat and Keith describe the Cubbies spanking of the White Sox.  I can always say I was in Times Square when pitcher Travis Wood hit a Grand Slam.  Look at that sweet swing!!!

I was in Times Square when Kurt Cobain died too, so I'm happy to have the memory replaced.  Actually, a lot of crazy stuff has happened to me in Times Square, but we won't go into that today....  But with timely hitting, aforementioned pitcher's Grand Slams and homeruns by Nate Schierholtz, and Luis Valbuena, the Cubs completely dominated the White Sox in the Three Game set, winning 8-3 in the finale, 9-3 on Wednesday, and 7-0 on Monday.  I wish Tuesday's game had been played and not rained out.  Jackson was looking good, and we were already winning 2-0.  But alas, we will just have to complete the true sweep later in the season.  

So I ask?  Who in the hell are these Chicago Cubs?  Is it just that the White Sox actually stink.  No.  I saw them beat up on the Red Sox a few weeks ago.  Is it the warmer weather?  Is it streakiness?  Confidence?  Chicago itself?  I think I may be hitting on something.  Most teams have a disparity in their road and home splits.  But I'm not talking about Wins and Losses as much as the players general  ability to play better when they sleep in their own bed.  Not in a hotel, where they get shuttled around on buses.  Eating food from new restaurants.  Trying to figure out where to buy weed.  You know, the normal every day things that are made more difficult when you don't know the area very well.  Just a theory.  Probably wrong.  But I'm going with it.  Who knows?  Maybe they just feel better in Pin Stripes.  

Now, this is not a Son Ranto column unless I complain about something right?  What in the hell is up with Welington "Beef Castle"  Castillo and Catchers interference calls.  In the 10th inning of last weeks Cincy finale, and yesterday.  Castillo's glove has gotten in the way of the bat.  Catcher's interference is not a very common thing to see in a ball game, probably less common than a balk.  So why is it happening twice in a week?  Luckily, the Cubs have won both games it's happened in.  The catching defense is pretty lack luster.  Dropped third strikes and foul tips that could have been K's.  Wild pitches and passed balls, and now, freakin' Catcher's interference!  the other big question is, why in the hell did Sveum sit Navarro the day after he hit 3 homeruns?!  Not gonna make a huge deal out of it.  For most of the games, Navarro's been frustratingly slow and fat.  I guess he know's where to eat on the road.  

Another complaint I have is the Cubs runners watch the play instead of the coaches.  They lose valuable seconds watching how far the ball went.  Especially on homerun balls that end up hitting the wall.  It's a problem, and it shows either a lack of trust in David Price, the third base coach, or a lack of fundamental coaching.  If I were manager, I'd put a stop to it.  Here's a hilarious picture of Castillo tumbling over third base....he was here....

But unfortunately, ended up here....


and then pathetically....here....


Travis Wood also bit it in the second inning, tripping over second base....



But then he hit a Grand Salami in his next at bat so as not to run the bases.  He must have learned that trick from Navarro who hates running more than MLB pee tests.....

Let's keep the train moving!! What do we have going today?!  

The Diamondbacks come to town.  Matt Garza, who was a little shaky in Cincy last week goes against Wade Miley, who looks like a total freak...

Then again...so does Garza!


Battle of the freakazoids!!!  
Let's Go Cubbies!!!
http://www.sonranto.com






No comments:

Post a Comment