Monday, September 23, 2013

A Cubs Fan Craigslist Story

Well folks, as my first season as a Cubs blogger winds down, I celebrate my 100th post.  Luckily, this year, unlike 2012, the Cubs won't be lamenting their 100th loss.  With only 6 more games left to play, the worst we could do is lose 97.  While this has been a disappointing season for all of us Cubs' fans, and many of the Cubs players, it hasn't been without its small personal victories.  Even yesterday, the Braves division clinching celebration was slightly muted given that they clinched in the 6th inning when the Nationals lost to the lowly Marlins.  The Braves did manage to celebrate, but it wasn't the same as if the moment coincided with a 3rd Cub out.  


The Braves anticlimactic celebration in the shadowed gloaming of Wrigley Field.

Yes, small victory indeed. 

But being a Cubs fan isn't about winning.  That much is obvious.  It's about community.

Yesterday, I bought a 20$ Craigslist bleacher ticket from a season ticket holder named Adam Polegreen.  He lives in Boston, but is completely enamored with Wrigley Field and brings his son to Chicago as much as possible.  On the tickets he doesn't have opportunity to use, he takes a bath on the face value.  My thriftiness doesn't help the matter either, nor does he Cubs mediocre performance this year which has me paying under 10$ average on all games.  

Anyway, I didn't bite at the 28$ Stubhub ticket, and bought on Craigstlist.  Given that every time I mess around with Craigslist I am invited by some Ghanian missionary to transfer 100,000 dollars to my bank account in an effort to separate me from my own dwindling funds, I was skeptical as to the validity of the Bleacher ticket.  But after texting with Mr. Polegreen, I was reassured that my ticket would be valid, or at least this thief only got 20$ and went to great lengths in acting the part of a diehard Cub's fan.  

Cubs' fans all over the world might appreciate our text exchange...so here it is....








All texted like true Cubs' fans.  

Even though we lost the game, and I had to deal with drunken screaming Braves' fan girls who kept urging each other to flash Evan Gattis, who was playing Left Field yesterday....(apparently they were flashing the rooftops earlier), I had a great time sitting in the sun watching baseball.



Stay Classy Atlanta.

So thank you for the ticket Mr. Polegreen.  Whether the Cubs win or lose.  Wrigley Field truly is a worthy addiction.


Buy Tickets and Beer for Son Ranto!

It won't cost you one thin dime....

Use the Amazon Search Bar @ http://www.sonranto.com

I get a cut.  And I promise to spend the money on the Cubs.  

That's capitalism baby!










No comments:

Post a Comment