Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Off Day Blues

After running down to Montrose Beach to interview Boban Simic, a cage fighter who swims in the icy waters of Lake Michigan, and taking a 2 hour nap, I realized the Cubs off-days might prove to be more interesting than the days the Cubs are playing, where I predictably drink beer and sit on my ass, while texting brain farts to the Lovable Lou Sears.  I did get some baseball in however, successfully rooted against the Brewers, which gives the Cubs sole possession of first place for the next 12 hours or so at least.  Enjoy it while it lasts.  I switched over to watch Yu Darvish blow his perfect game.  which is hilarious because I love the look on fan's faces when they thought they were going to witness history, and instead have to tell the same story I've told about Eddie Milner breaking up Chuck Raineys NO-NO in 1983.  I was 9,  and it still hurts.  I was at Johan Santanas no-hitter last year at Citi Field, but i was on a terrible OK Cupid date with this fat Philipino chick who laughed like Sylvester the cat, so I didn't even have that much fun.  But I digress.  Here's what disappointment looks like....


Ha.  Freaking Ha!

So after watching Darvish blow the perfect game, I switched over to Bob Brenly and the DBacks hoping to root against the Cardinals, but I failed miserably and the Red Droppings won.  By the end of the night, it was Vin Scully and the Dodgers, but alas it was the 9th inning already, so when that all ended I was forced onto youtube to watch fat people falling until I got tired enough to fall asleep.  Damned naps keep me up to the middle of the night.

My overall point is.  Baseball is back.  And i cannot get enough.  So much so, that I may just shell out the 11 bucks to sit in the box seats at "The Cell" today just to watch a little baseball live and in person before the Cubs home opener next week.  Could someone please send me a private message at sonranto@gmail.com to remind me which way to where my hat, and what colors not to wear in order to not get shot at while on the South Side?  I definitely won't wear any Cubs gear because then they'll know I'm lost, and I'll end up singing the baby sitting blues at some dingy hole in the wall before I can get back north.  Actually, that would be kind of fun.  And I prefer the company of minorities and women, so it might just work out perfectly.  White people are pretty boring.  Sorry.

Well, hopefully, I can make it back uptown for the Cubbies 6:05 start.  It doesn't matter anyway because I don't have cable, so I can watch the game anywhere BUT my apartment.  Maybe I'll see what the Lovable Lou Sears is doing and mooch a couple of beers off him.  He's not supposed to drink because of the gout and I have a feeling that his wife is going to hate him, and subsequently me by the end of June.  My divorce is pending.  Lou's still married, and I Son Ranto aim to keep it that way.  

So tonight!  Edwin Jackson vs. Wandy Rodriguez.  Let's just hope Lillibridge is somewhere guarding his pot of gold and doesn't play, and Marmol is spotted a 5 run lead in the 9th.  Fingers crossed people.
Play ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment