Saturday, June 22, 2013

Cubs Beat Astros. Excited yet?


The wind was howling out to left field after a 3 hour thunderstorm delay, which I waited out in my apartment ,playing guitar and eating hot dogs.  The rain stopped, rode my bike under the El tracks as to avoid the cars that were all managing to spray me as they drove by on Montrose.  I grabbed the single seater next to the left wall in terrace reserved.  But as the players warmed up, the wind died, and my reason for sitting there, to catch a wind blown foul ball, died with it.  

My reason for going to this game was that I thought the Cubs would win, which they did 3-1.  But as I moved around the ballpark, watching the game from a new seat every time I bought a Becks Saphire, I still found myself disappointed at the Cubs lack of effort, execution, and focus.  Well, not everybody....I'll start with the positives...

Darwin Barney was a triple away from the cycle.  Which means yes, he hit a home run!
I like the catchers new Ford shinguard...

Anthony Rizzo went 2-4, and also hit a dinger...
Wow!  The pitcher has a Ford backpack!

And Matt Garza pitched pretty darn great.  8 innings, 4 hits, 1 run, 8 ks....
But Garza is also the perfect transition to talking about what's wrong with this Cubs team.  
Why can't Garza throw the ball to first base?  I mean, go see a hypnotist or something in the off season!  
Why is Matt Garza picking up a baseball one of the scariest things that can happen in the major leagues.  He's got the yips bad.  I can see in my minds eye, in the 7th game of the 2015 World Series, Garza throwing a ball away in the top of the 7th, leading to a huge rally, and we all sob through Take Me Out to the Ball Game.  Seriously Matt...hypnotist!  

Here's someone else who needs a hypnotist.  Starlin freaking Castro.  
Dear Starlin, I understand you're frustrated, but now your just coming off like some kind of entitled baby jerk.  It's obvious to all of us that you are not a scrapper, a down and dirty, tough as nails player.  You're a pretty boy, and you're not dealing with the first big slump of your career with any grace or dignity.  Here's a little peek into Castro's day.

The Strike Out, leading to the.....

Fake bat break, leading to the...
Throwing error....leading to the...
The called third strike, leading to the...
The Sulk....leading to....
A Double!  Lost in the Ivy!!! Leading to....
Scott Hairston picked off First, leading to...
Castro trying to steal home!!!! Leading too...

Umm...why exactly didn't you slide?  

Probably because he doesn't want to get his pants dirty.  

I understand that players go through slumps, and that its frustrating, bu the lack of fire in Castro's belly really annoys the crap outta me.  You're getting millions of dollars to play a kids game, and Castro is in many respects still a kid.  A baby if you will.  I wish Lou Piniella was still the manager, cause he would have already torn him a new one.  Castro is coddled by the Cubs because if he goes bust, the whole future of the Cubs is kinda bust.  It's obvious that the Cubs have begun building around Rizzo, Castro and Samakjebfkebkbfior.  If 1/3 of that equation isn't working, that leaves the Cubs with a huge hole.  Sure we have Baez in the minors, but who know's about him.  He's never been up to the the Big Show.  

Well, yesterday was one game against the second worst team in the majors...and the Cubs won!
I didn't get to stay til the end of the game unfortunately as I had a CigarBQ to attend.  Free booze, BBQ, and Cigars.  Might I suggest you eat at Three Aces.  Chef Matt Troost, 2 time champ of bacon fest was killing it with the Quail last night!

But at the game, the atmosphere, the sounds, the smells of Wrigley were just as magical as always....



I'll be back today to watch Travis Wood, 5-6, 2.74 face Bud Norris, 5-7, 3.64.  Woods been a tough luck loser, along with much of the starting staff.  
But if we see more of this...(Scott Hairston's dinger)
And less of this....(Barney tagged in a "strike em out throw em out DP"
We just might sweep these terrible Astros....

Go Cubbies!!!!

Marla Collins, remember?


No comments:

Post a Comment