Saturday, June 8, 2013

The Cubs Need Drugs

I got into Wrigley yesterday in the bottom of the 4th inning. Having tried to talk the scalpers down from their asking price of 40$,  (Still below face value for Terrace Reserved, but I was hoping to pay 10),  I witnessed some girls pay 30$, and even though I insisted on a 20$ price point, I relinquished to the middle, and we ended up settling at 25$.  I don't think either of us was happy with the transaction, but it was a beautiful day, and I figured, what the hell, I'm already here.  I hit the seats and the Cubs have 2 on from a couple of walks, but what proved to be a theme of this game, in which the Cubs didn't score at all, and struck out 13 times, the rally failed, and those that paid full price for their tickets were left holding their floppy Budweiser hats, which were given to the first 10000 fans, in their disappointed little hands.  At least I took this beautiful picture!



I think the most I cheered in this game, which the Cubs lost 2-0, was when a guy down the right field line got a foul ball, celebrated, and then handed the ball to an apparent stranger in a selfless act of kindness not seen since Mr. Miyagi gave Daniel San a bonsai tree in Karate Kid 2.  Even the events worth cheering for all left a distasteful tinge in my mouth.  Like when the Cubs, who had been no hit through 4, finally broke it up with a single.  What's distasteful about this?  It was the pitcher Travis Wood who broke it up with a single.  Yes, the pitchers are our best hitters.  Ugh.  But Wood was then forced out at second by "new and unimproved" leadoff hitter, Darwin Barney, who struck out 3 times in addition to this failed attempt at moving the runner into scoring position.  Wood improved his batting average to .308, while Barney, in the leadoff spot, left 3 on base, including 2, when he struck out to end the game during the Cubs fake rally in the bottom of the 9th.  He is now batting .213.  In fact, almost the entire starting lineup in yesterdays game hovers in the mid to low two's.  The only other hitter in the Cubs lineup batting over .300 is Ryan Sweeney, who had 1 of the Cubs 5 hits.  It truly is getting tough to tell whether the other pitcher is really that good, or if we just stink at hitting.  I wonder if this guy regretted sporting this rabid fan hair style after watching such an inept display of offense.


It was, however, a beautiful day at the ballpark, and after making my way over to the sunshine seats in Right field, I got myself a little nook next to the fence to watch the rest of the nothing that happened on Friday.  So what's the solution to this hitting drought?
Drugs.

I recently watched this incredible documentary, called "I'm Keith Hernandez", about his Cocaine fueled days as a Cardinal and Met, winning 2 World Championships with each team in the 80's.  Totally worth a watch.  The Cards and Mets played with an intensity that I haven't seen in a while in baseball, and now we know why.  Both teams were considered cocky, and now we know where that confidence came from.  Drugs.  In this day and age of banned substances, I realize finding a stimulant, not on the banned substances list, might prove difficult.  But with the hundreds of millions of dollars spent by the Rickett's to upgrade the team and Wrigley field in the coming years, it would be wise and prudent to at least spend some of the money on synthesizing a stimulant that's not on the banned list.  In this game of baseball, you have to stay one step ahead of the league, and that includes the drugs you're taking.  I'm sure Ricketts has friends at Eli Lily that can hook him up.  It's just a matter of changing a molecule or two in the compound.  Let's get on this Cubbies!  Because if I've even seen a team that needs some serious drugs, it's the 2013 Cubbies.  

Speaking of cool things to see on drugs, the Goodyear blimp was at the ballpark yesterday, and I took a couple of shots, only to realize that there was also a UFO in the shot!  I don't know what aliens would want with a 2-0 Cubs loss snoozefest, but check out this pic!  

Do you see the flying saucer with the purple energy field rings?  Incredible!

I actually think it was the DirectTV blimp not the Goodyear, but I can't keep my blimps straight these days.  When I was a kid, there was only the Goodyear, and the Hindenburg, which blew up and crashed.  I wonder why Michelin never got a blimp to compete with Goodyear.  Battle of the Blimps!

Well, the game ended on the afore mentioned Darwin Barney, fake rally, strikeout, and I stuck around the ballpark to see if some drunk idiot had left his floppy hat behind, but alas, I walked up and down the stairs only to see peanut shells, beer cups, and Mormons.  



No floppy hat for me.  But this guy's pretty cool.  Not like those Morons.....I mean...Mormons....

As I was taking this photo, this family of Pirates fans was snapping selfies and when they were all done, the dad realized his bag had been lifted.  They apparently stole a sandwich.  That'll teach him to leave food laying around a bunch of obese and hungry Chicagoans!

Well, crime was rampant yesterday in Chicago, as after the game, and after playing some flying V guitars at Guitar Center on Halsted, I returned uptown, only to hear 10-15 gun shots a half block away.  I had just gotten in 5 mins earlier.  Coulda been meat.  Here's the story if you care.  This gang banger got shot in the face. 

So, a guy gets gatted, a bag gets stolen, and the Cubs get shutout, so I went to RibFest with the Lovable Lou Sears to drown my sorrows in meat!  If you go, eat the Texas stands ribs.  They were by far the best.

There's a game today, but I'm not going.  Stubhub was too rich for my blood, but I might try in the 5th again and see if I can't get in for 20$.  The Shark, Jeff Smejfekbrkwbgkrbgeng is going up against AJ Burnette, who has some sweet tats.  Should be magical....

In the meantime...look us up at http://www.sonranto.com

and check out the podcast!!!








No comments:

Post a Comment