Monday, June 24, 2013

I Know What's Wrong With Starlin Castro

In yesterday's 14-5 rout of the lowly Houston Astros, there was only one Cubs' starter without a hit, and that includes the starting pitcher Jeff Samrdnferbwjblwihx.  His name is Starlin Castro, he's the Cubs future star shortstop, and he's been downright terrible.  This series alone, he went 2-13, and committed 4, count em, 4 errors.  He currently is tied for the most errors in baseball, with the Pirates third baseman, Pedro Alvarez, with 14.  Castro is also batting .228, with an obp. of .264, an ops of .582, only 3 home runs and 1 triple.  And most importantly, a general lack of focus and drive to be a great Major Leaguer, that is obvious to anyone who can read his body language and general malaise on the field.  It feels like he doesn't like playing baseball anymore.  Like his head is somewhere else.  Like he wishes he'd just stayed in the DR, and worked at a dance club.  Like he'd rather be anywhere else than Wrigley Field on a Sunday afternoon.

So, what in the hell is wrong with him?

Besides the obvious that his name is made up of two Communist dictator names.  Starlin and Stalin.  Too close for comfort there.  And Fidel Castro is a given.  But I find it a little "tin foil hat" to suggest that the Commies are behind Castro's and thus, the Cubs decline.  Chicagoans love communism, or at least totalitarianism.  How else can you explain all the jailed Governors, and the fact that in the last 58 years, two men named Daley have been Mayor for 43 of em.  So.  If this isn't a commie plot....what is it?

I think I have the answer.  Too much too soon.

When I was 20 years old, I moved to NYC to pursue my dream of being a Broadway actor.  Within 2 years, I had achieved that goal, and what did I do?  Save my money?  Make certain I was in great physical shape for the 8 shows a week of singing and dancing?  Noooooooo.....I went out every night, and got drunk, and tried to get girls to come home with me.  Why?  Because I was 22, grew up poor, and was making 100K a year in 1996.  I relied on natural talent to get me through the hungover Saturday matinees on 2 hours sleep.  I bought rounds for the bar.  I lit cigarettes with 20$ bills.  I was outta hand.  I lasted 3 years.  Then my voice was gone from acid reflux and smoking.  I got fat.  My knee gave out, requiring surgery (I fell off a couch making out with a girl).  And most importantly, I was fried.  Life in the spotlight drained me.

Now, I'm not saying Starlin Castro is an alcoholic, womanizing, fool like me.  But Starlin is exactly the same age, 23, as I was when I started to slump.  When natural talent couldn't get you through the show or the game.  Starlin Castro has always been the best player on his team.  Most Major Leaguers were.
He has gotten by his whole life on natural talent, but the league has figured out his batting bag of tricks, and now Starlin has to make adjustments, prepare mentally, work out, focus, in order not to be beaten.  And he has been beaten many times this year.  Striking out in 20% of his at bats.  Does Starlin have the mental fortitude to "get it together"?  Or is he one of those bright stars that burn out too fast?

Starlin was 20 years old when he wowed us all with 7 RBI's in his first major league game.  He is one of the youngest players to 600 hits.  And he's taken it all for granted.  Remember when he was benched for not paying attention during a game?


His heads just not in this thing folks!  

So what's the solution?

Well, as long as he has the money and fame, he's not going to change.  His animal spirit and hunger is missing from the equation.  Personally, as an writer/artist, my money comes and goes.  I make 100K one year.  10K the next 2.  And I'm a much better, more motivated artist, writer, musician, actor, creative soul, when I'm poorer, hungrier, and my backs to the wall.  When I have $$$, I eat out all the time, drink the good stuff, and go to Jamaica.  Oh...and my artistry suffers.  It's the starving artist syndrome.  If your whole motivation is struggle, and then you no longer have to struggle, your output suffers tremendously.  Such is true with Starlin, who, too young to even understand what was happening to him, he was whisked off to Chicago from a tropical island, didn't speak the language, and all of a sudden had the hopes and dreams of millions of Cubs fans placed upon his shoulders.  Too much.  Too soon.  

So, he has to suffer.  

You have to send him down to the minors.  Don't wait until he's batting under .200 with 25 errors and his confidence is totally shot.  Well, his confidence will be shot playing in the minors too.  But at least he'll get the opportunity to remember what it is to be the best player on a team again.  Something, he won't be on the Cubs until maybe after the trade deadline.  Ugh.... But you gotta break this guy down in order to build him up.  

After my initial success in NYC, and all the money, I got down to my last 10K 3 years later, and ended up being a deliver boy where I had to walk up 6 flights of stairs to not be tipped, was electrocuted by light poles locking my bike up, and paid 8$ and hour to bike around in a Hurricane.  And within the year, with a hunger in my belly, I was back on Broadway making bucks.  This cycle has repeated itself throughout my life, and I recognize it in Starlin Castro.  

Everyone who loves the Cubs, wants Starlin to succeed.  Especially Starlin.  But with all the fake bat breaks after K's, the pouting, the watching homers that are doubles, the shuffling of the feet, the jogging off the field slowly, the slumped shoulders, and the basic lack of execution of anything baseball related.  He's got to go down to the minors ASAP to figure it out.  He needs a wake up call.  He needs to be electrocuted by a light pole, and ride through a hurricane to get his hunger back.  Break him down to build him up.  It's the only way.










No comments:

Post a Comment